INCITS Seeks Additional US Experts for INCITS/Smart Cities, US TAG to JTC 1/WG 11 on Smart Cities
The InterNational Committee for Information Technology Standards (INCITS) is coordinating US efforts to the newly established ISO/IEC JTC 1/WG 11 on Smart Cities and seeks additional US experts to join the US TAG or mirror committee, INCITS/Smart Cities.
JTC 1 published a preliminary report on the emerging area of Smart Cities in 2014.
Program of Work
JTC 1/WG 11 on Smart Cities was established at the October 2015 JTC 1 Plenary with the following terms of reference:
- Serve as the focus of and proponent for JTC 1's Smart Cities standardization program.
- Develop foundational standards for the use of ICT in Smart Cities - including the Smart City ICT Reference Framework and an Upper Level Ontology for Smart Cities - for guiding Smart Cities efforts throughout JTC 1 upon which other standards can be developed.
- Develop a set of ICT related indicators for Smart Cities in collaboration with ISO/TC 268.
- Develop additional Smart Cities’ standards and other deliverables that build on these foundational standards.
- Identify JTC 1 (and other organization) subgroups that are developing standards and related material that contribute to Smart Cities, and where appropriate, investigate ongoing and potential new work that contributes to Smart Cities.
- Develop and maintain liaisons with all relevant JTC 1 subgroups.
- Engage with the community outside of JTC 1 to grow the awareness of, and encourage engagement in, JTC 1 Smart Cities standardization efforts within JTC 1, forming liaisons as is needed.
- Ensure a strong relationship with Smart Cities activities in ISO and IEC.
Meetings - Report, Recommendations and Agenda for Upcoming Meeting
The first JTC 1/WG 11 meeting was held 30 May - 3 June 2016 in Singapore (see the meeting report and recommendations). The second JTC 1/WG 11 meeting will be held 19-23 September 2016 in Cagliari, Italy (see the draft agenda).
JTC 1/WG 11 is currently working on the following projects and technical contributions from US experts are needed to improve and progress the drafts:
- 1st Working Draft of ISO/IEC 30145-1, Information technology - Smart City ICT Reference Framework - Part 1: Smart City Business Process Framework
- 1st Working Draft of ISO/IEC 30145-2, Information technology - Smart City ICT Reference Framework - Part 2: Smart City Knowledge Management Framework
- 1st Working Draft of ISO/IEC 30145-3, Information technology - Smart City ICT Reference Framework - Part 3: Smart City Engineering Framework
- 1st Working Draft of ISO/IEC 30146, Information technology - Smart City ICT Indicators
- Proposal for a New Work Item on Information technology - An Upper Level Ontology for Smart City Data
- Proposal for a New Work Item on Information technology - An Upper Level Ontology for Smart City Data Indicators
How to Join
US experts interested in participating on the US TAG to JTC 1/WG 11 on Smart Cities may contact Jennifer Garner, Director of INCITS Standards Programs (firstname.lastname@example.org) or can request membership on INCITS/IoT10 using the on-line INCITS membership application: https://standards.incits.org/kcpm/signup